Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adz
Admin
Admin

As the new ride is almost upon us and the other topic has reached 70 pages i felt it time to continue the discussion over here in the Alton Towers General forum, afterall it's no longer under construction.

The old topic will remain for viewing the construction photos and posts during the construction period.

Please continue all Charlie and the Chocolate Factory discussion in this topic.

Thanks. :)
Last edited by Adz on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
semple90

im look forward to this ride more and more everyday its going to be great!
\"bang and the dirt is gone\"
Locker

A nice, new clean topic, and you go and reply with that :roll: :P

Anyways, I'll add something a little more relevant. Staff are being trained up on the operation of Charlie this week. Apparently they'll be working until between 8-10pm each night in order to get enough people trained and ready for April 1st.

Regards,
Mark
semple90

haha yeh sorry i couldnt remember what i was gonna say and just wrote anything down. Moving swiftly on.
Gashead

Its certainly going to be a interesting concept for me. After seeing a few pictures on the net of the interior, it looks abit strange as the characters actully look like cartoons, where as the logos and stuff actully look computure animated so its going to take some getting used to. However looks amazing in anycase. I remember the first time i heard the "rumour" it was going to be CATCF and thinking no way in this world would AT do it , but they have and here we are now just under a week away from opening(hopefully). Im also looking forward to the lift more than the rest of the ride, not becuase im curious of whats it going to feel like, well i am just not as much as i am about what were going to see around us when were moving, weather its over the chocolate factory and charlies house like in the film or over alton towers.
semple90

anyone know how many animatronics will be used if any, if they are just still models its going to be interesting.
Im also wondering about these lifts, as ive never been on anything like this before (the lift part) im just wondering if its going to be believable. What does everyone else think?
Locker

anyone know how many animatronics will be used if any
As I said in the other topic, there are animatronics, although I’m not sure on numbers.

As for the realism of the lifts, we'll all have to see. As I've said in the other topic, the projections consist of real footage and animations so it should be interesting.

Regards,
Mark
DiogoJ42

I cant wait to see these lifts!

Does anyone know the nerdy details about these projectors? What kind of video are ther fed with- SDI, RGB or HD? and if it's High Def, what kind of resolution could we expect?

I only hope they set it up properly, unlike Hex (see my other topic here:)
http://www.towerstimesforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8734
Ash

Who knows?

One thing im still a little confused about is the 3D side of things? What is going to be 3D?

Do we get glasses? What kind of glasses? Is it actually going to be 3D? Do we wear them in the lift? Or is it not 3D at all? Because im sure someone said on here it was and its barely been discussed!

If im wrong apologies and id like to say.still no gates!
Locker

Do we get glasses? What kind of glasses? Is it actually going to be 3D? Do we wear them in the lift? Or is it not 3D at all? Because im sure someone said on here it was and its barely been discussed!
No glasses, no 3D, it's just projected onto what can only be described as stretched fabric on the lift walls.

Regards,
Mark
Ash

I didnt think so! Silly me!

All of this military hardware stuff. Just seems like a posh flight simulator! Well it will be interesting! I hope its realistic and doesnt come out all nasty! It does seem like projector on cloth to be honest. I dont see the amazement.

Are there any others in the world? Wouldnt it be good if Alton ever decided to get a simulator like the one at Parc du Futuroscope france! Perfect in BH? Little space required. Could get two of them? Maybe put them on one floor and a flat on the bottom? Or have a pre show on a large screen!?
semple90

hmm im guessing i shoudlnt wear a white top on charlie after all it does have the "chocolate river"
Dan K

Well originally there was going to be dye in the water to make it chocolatey but the park were worried about kids getting it on their clothes and having it stain, so instead it's just normal water in a chocolate-coloured flume.
JinXs

Just thought I'd tell you all I saw an advert on TV on channel 4 this morning for catcf! I didnt see it (i was putting my socks on) but I heard loads of giggling and cheeky noises, and I looked up and it had the logo and some women saying the details!
doom+sons1988

I really hope this lift is going to be good, the idea of streched fabric sounds a bit worring but if Falcon Treehouse are lending a hand if it, I suppose it will be quite cool.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Rita 2005

[quote=""doom+sons1988""]...the idea of streched fabric sounds a bit worring...[/quote]Why?, isn't that what 99% of Cinema Screens are made of?.
DiogoJ42

wouldn't it make more sense to have circular screens outside the lift? if the walls of the lift are the screens, it would feel like being inside a canvas bag!
Redcoat Jase

I heard the Radio Advert for CATCF, or Alton Towers on Signal1 this morning in Art - I didn't really catch what was said but alls i heard was that 'And Finally we blasted throught the Roof'

All this morning Signal1 were talking about 'Signal1 and Alton Towers' :?
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
haydn!

The radio ad was also played on Trent FM this morning.

Its generally a very excited kid describing a ride on CATCF. Talks bout the boat ride, the characters see, "then we went in the lift" "over a pink cloud" "landed in a bucket of chocolate" "then shot through the roof" were some general themes and quotes. Its has a rushed, excited kinda feel to it and for a radio ad quite good. Features the word Chocolate like a dozen times though lol.
Locker

'Signal1 and Alton Towers'
Heart FM have also been saying things along the lines of "join us at Alton Towers" and I know they're giving away free tickets for the Chocolate Towers event.

Regards,
Mark